Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sausage, Tomato and Argula Pasta


Sausage, Tomato and Argula Pasta
Recipe adapted from For the Love of Cooking
Makes 6 Servings

1 tsp olive oil
5 turkey Italian sausages, removed from casings
3 tsp minced garlic, jarred
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp dried oregano
1 ½ cups grape tomatoes
1 ½ cups arugula
3 oz. fresh mozzarella, rolled into small balls
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
12 oz. pasta, cooked per instructions

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Remove sausage from casings and form into small balls. Place balls into the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add minced garlic and tomatoes then stir constantly for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, oregano, salt and pepper. Break up a few of the tomatoes with the spatula. Cook for 8-10 minutes while pasta cooks.
Drain pasta and add to sauce, toss to coat. Add arugula and balls of cheese then serve immediately.

Nutritional Information: 373 calories, 43 carbs, 12 fat grams and 24 protein grams.

Review: This dish packs SO much flavor and is really filling. I love the addition of argula for color, and the cherry tomatoes were great, too. Do be careful breaking up the tomatoes - don't wait to get a squirter and wind up with tomato juice all over you! This one reheated well, too - which made me happy because i'm always nervous heating up lettuce you know? But it meshed well in here and I wouldn't make this dish without the arugula. I also liked the idea of sausage balls and cheese balls - I ended up just throwing the sausage in more roughly (no perfect balls) but will do that next time. I did like the add the little cheese balls made though. Great, quick, filling recipe - good for a weeknight!

full dish in pan while I stirred it - almost looks plain but the sauce had a lot of flavor. I love how much chicken broth can enhance a dish!

1 comment:

Pam said...

I am so glad you tried this one... it is one of my very favorite pasta dishes! Simple recipes are the best. Thanks for the shout out and link back to my site.