Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chipotle Chicken and Rice


Chipotle Chicken and Rice
Adapted from a Dinners for a Year and Beyond Recipe
Makes 4 Servings

1 cup jasmine rice
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
¼ tsp chili powder
2 tsp olive oil
20 oz. chicken, diced
½ cup onion, diced
1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
½ cup tomato sauce
1/8 tsp salt
hot sauce to taste
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely diced
1 tsp lime juice
4 large Romaine lettuce leaves

In a medium pot over high heat, add rice, chicken stock and chili powder. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat, cover pot, and simmer for 15 minutes. While rice cooks, heat a large pan to medium high heat. Add oil and then add chicken. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and cumin and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and cook for a minute, then season to taste with salt and hot sauce. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Place lettuce leaf on plate. Divide chipotle rice and chicken into servings and add to each lettuce leaf.

Nutritional Information: 374 calories, 42 carbs, 4 fat grams and 37 protein grams.

Review: We really liked it! The rice had a nice flavor with a hint of spanish rice, without the grease and calories. The chicken was flavorful, the onions added a lot and I liked the hot sauce blended in to give the tomato sauce a kick. The lime juice and cilantro also added a great flavor and after taste. I will DEFINITELY make this again - super easy and I have no doubt it would freeze well too since it's a soupier dish. Also, I wouldn't be scared to add even more hot sauce for more heat!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey,
Love your blog..been an avid reader for a long time now (the main blog). I've always had this question in mind, when you portion out food in containers, how much rice do you serve in each container?...curious! :)
Keep up the good work! :)

fittingbackin said...

Hey - thanks so much!! I typically take a big bowl and set it on the scale and zero it. Then I add the rice and get a total number of grams (I can't remember what this one was - I want to say 800?) Then I just take my plates (if serving) or tubs (if saving for later) and add the quartered amount to each one (so 200). I hope this helps - it's all about a food scale for me to ensure that i'm not eating too much, and that i'm eating enough! :)

Pam said...

Mmmm. I love, love, love this one.

fittingbackin said...

Thanks, Pam!

Unknown said...

Def. gonna try this one. Yum!